CHARLOTTE — A two-alarm fire at an apartment complex south of Charlotte on Wednesday night was accidental, according to the Charlotte Fire Department.
A crew of more than 50 firefighters took around 40 minutes to control the incident in the 300 block of Sharon Township Lane off Sharon Road near Colony Road, CFD said.
The fire that broke out on the fifth floor caused no injuries. CFD said the fire was caused by combustible materials being too close to a heating source.
The building was evacuated and the fire was contained to the fifth floor, firefighters said.
A “tremendous” amount of smoke blanketed the fifth floor, but CFD said working fire alarms and door closers were allowing residents to evacuate.
All tenants were able to return to their apartments after firefighters brought the fire under control.
CFD said it remained at the scene until the smoke cleared and the alarm system was reset. Damage is estimated at $5,000.
(Watch video below: Fire causes major damage to vacant factory in Hickory, firefighters say)
©2022 Cox Media Group