Officer still in hospital after police-involved shooting at Towson building – CBS Baltimore

TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — A Baltimore County police officer who was shot in Towson on Saturday continues to receive medical treatment at a local hospital, authorities say.

Baltimore County Police provided an update on the officer’s status Sunday evening.

READ MORE: Two men killed in separate shootings on opposite sides of Baltimore on Sunday, police say

People who were in the area when officers responded to a 911 call report from an apartment in the 500 block of Virginia Avenue on Saturday said they were surprised by the flurry of first responder activity.

Officers blocked off every corner of the intersection and within minutes gunfire echoed through nearby homes.

One person even captured the sights and sounds of police activity on his home security camera.

Camera owner Ellis said he saw sirens outside. When he looked outside his home to see what was going on, he saw a flurry of activity.

“People [were] going the wrong way on Pennsylvania Avenue or running the stop sign, almost hitting each other,” Ellis said.

Police entered an apartment building on Virginia Avenue, where they encountered a man who allegedly pointed a gun at them. They exchanged gunfire with him, killing him, Baltimore County Police Chief Melissa Hyatt said at a news conference after the shooting.

READ MORE: North Parkway collision kills biker, police say

Then gunshots rang out, echoing through the neighborhood. Ellis picked up the sound of gunfire on his security system.

An officer was injured in the shooting and sent to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police found a woman inside the apartment who had also been shot. She was taken to hospital and was listed in critical condition.

Devorah Roloff lives across from where the shooting happened and watched the events unfold.

“I saw the person being brought in on the stretcher,” she said.

The Independent Investigations Division of the Maryland Attorney General’s Office has begun investigating the fatal shooting.

NO MORE NEWS: Man shot dead after big fight along main road in Baltimore’s Morrell Park

The unit plans to release the name of the person police shot and the names of the officers involved in the shooting within 48 hours, unless they have to withhold that information for a longer than normal period.