One dead in Warren’s apartment fire | News, Sports, Jobs


WARREN — A woman was killed early Saturday in an apartment fire.

Deputy Chief Bill Monrean said an accidental fire caused by unattended cooking is a preliminary finding from the state fire marshal‘s office.

The Warren Fire Department received a call about smoke in the hallway of Garfield Manor, 259 Perkinswood Ave. NE at 12:37 a.m. and arrived on scene 4 minutes later with all units responding.

“There was thick smoke in the air, in the neighborhood,Monrean said. “The occupants informed us that the fire was on the third floor and said that someone could still be there.

“I sent a search and rescue team and a team with a garden hose to put out the fire. Search and rescue began searching other apartments not involved in the fire.

While many residents evacuated on their own, Monrean said, “We got about 40% of the people out, including a close neighbor.”

The fire was discovered in one of the apartments at the rear of the building. Firefighters extinguished the fire and found the woman inside. Smoke inhalation is the probable cause of death, Monrean said, although the state fire marshal’s office was called to investigate.

“Whenever there is a fatality, we use the state fire marshal to investigate,” said Monrean. “That doesn’t look suspicious.”

A firefighter injured his knee and a resident of the building was treated for anxiety at the scene but was not taken to hospital.

The last unit left the scene at 3:21 a.m.

“We had to ventilate all the apartments – they all had high levels of CO (carbon monoxide) – before we left,” said Monrean.

The fire damage was limited to one room in the apartment and none of the other residents had to be relocated.



Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox